Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blue Coco Fest and Giclees Available



In May I had my first solo exhibition at Engine Gallery, which celebrated the return of my painting Blue Coco from the National Portrait Gallery in London. Several other works were displayed, along with the advertising material the NPG produced featuring my painting and personal photos from the exhibition. It was a fantastic and successful event, the gallery was packed all night with people enjoying themselves and I got a chance to meet some of my new collectors in person. Thank you to all who visited us.

We put together a video to promote the event, which we had a blast putting together with the model for Blue Coco, Dearbhail Bracken-Roche. You can view it here.

Because the reaction to Blue Coco has been so strong, we decided to have limited editions giclee prints available at the event. This is the first time I've had reproductions of my work produced, and since Blue Coco has affected my life and career more than any other painting, I am pleased to be able to make it available to a wider audience.

First, I had the painting scanned at Colourgenics, a fine art reproduction house that is located near my studio. They have a massive flatbed scanner capable of scanning works up to 60 by 90 inches at incredible resolution. Once we had the 200 meg file, I spent the afternoon with their technician colour correcting it to match the painting exactly.

I have to say that i was blown away by the results. I was always hesitant to have my work reproduced, fearing that the subtlety would be lost, but the giclee prints turned out almost indistinguishable from the original.


There are two editions available, with shipment included within Canada and the U.S.

The first is a giclee print on 250 lb archival stock, presented on acid free foamcore. The edition size is 50. The image is 17 x 20 inches. the same size as the original painting, and is available for $350 CAD.

The second edition is a giclee print on archival canvas, which I stretched onto a wood panel. The edition size is only 10, and is presented in a cherry wood frame that I hand painted to match that of the original painting. The canvas is 17 x 20 inches and available for $850 CAD.

Visit my website to view the giclees, and email me at shaun@shaundowney.com if you have any questions or to place your order.

The Blue Coco giclees are also available at Engine Gallery, contact them at (416) 531-9905 or info@enginegallery.ca if you would like to arrange to see the giclees in person.

I'd like to thanks all of the people who made the Blue Coco Fest exhibition such a success. Our DJ Dylan Thomas Childs, photographer Matt Barnes and assistant Mike Chapman, cocktail waitress champion Bernie Collins, cupcake chef and fellow artist Brandi Deziel, Aaron Downey and Kate Hamilton for our delicious food, my beautiful model Dearbhail Bracken-Roche and her family, my wife Kelly Grace for producing our video, and of course Engine Gallery owner Steven Schwartz for hosting such a wonderful evening.


1 comment: